Oliebollen met Appels | Doughnuts with Apples
Recipe type: Dessert
Oliebollen met Appels | Doughnuts with Apples is a Dutch food recipe for fried dough balls mixed with raisins and currants.
- 2 packages Dry yeast
- ½ cup Lukewarm water
- 4½ cups Flour
- ¼ cup White sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Beaten eggs
- ½ cup Lukewarm milk
- 1½ Chopped apple
- ¾ cup Dried currants
- 1 cup Raisins
- 1 qt Vegetable oil for frying
- Powdered sugar for decoration
- Warm the oven at the lowest possible setting.
- Let the yeast dissolve in the water.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the flour, sugar and the salt first, then add the eggs, yeast mixture and the lukewarm milk. Mix it with an electric mixer until blended.
- Turn the oven off.
- Cover the prepared dough with a piece of greased plastic wrap and place the bowl with dough on the lowest rack of the warmed oven. Let it rise for an hour.
- Heat frying oil in a deep fryer.
- Use 2 metal spoons to shape them into balls and drop carefully into the hot oil.
- Fry the balls until they are golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.