Recipe type: Side
Kroket are a Dutch food recipe of meat and potato croquettes.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups lean, cooked chicken or ground meat
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1⁄4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp parsley, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp water
- 1⁄2 cup flour seasoned with a pinch of salt and 1⁄4 tsp pepper
- 11⁄2 cups fine bread crumbs
- oil for deep-frying
- Heat butter in a saucepan. Add flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until light golden.
- Stir in only a little bit of milk at a time, alternating with the chicken stock, adding more only when the previous bit has been thoroughly absorbed to make a thick sauce.
- Add the chicken, seasonings, Worcestershire sauce and parsley, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Shape into cylinders 11⁄4 inches thick and 31⁄2 inches long. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine the egg with 1 to2 tbsp water.
- Coat the cylinders with seasoned flour, then dip into the egg mixture, and finally coat with bread crumbs. Chill again for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan to moderate heat. Fry the croquettes, a few at a time so as not to lower the oil temperature, to a golden brown.