Recipe type: Dessert
Caramel Vla is a Dutch food recipe of caramel custard pudding.
- 1 quart milk (or half-and-half)
- 2 oz cornstarch
- 5 oz sugar, for caramel
- In a saucepan, scald the milk and remove from heat.
- In a bowl, mix the cornstarch with 4 tbsp of the scalded milk until smooth to make sure there are no lumps.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the milk in the saucepan, constantly stirring.
- Heat 5 ounces sugar in a small pan until golden brown then add to mixture.
- Return the saucepan to low heat, and allow to simmer for 3 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Keep whisking every 5 minutes until the vla is lukewarm.
- Remove from heat, add 2 tbsp cold water, then add to the hot milk.
- Stir until the caramel is dissolved.