Recipe type: Dessert
Apple Compote is a Dutch food recipe for stewed apples in syrup.
- 500 g sour apples
- ½ lemon, grated zest and juice
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 dl water
- 200 g sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- Bring the water and sugar to a boil stirring continuously. Let it cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the lemon zest, cinnamon and vanilla pods. Take off the heat.
- Peel the apples, remove the cores and cut them up. Sprinkle the apples with the lemon juice.
- Cut the vanilla pods open and remove the contents. Add the contents to the sugar syrup. Then bring the syrup to the boil. Pour in the lemon juice and the apples and cook them until they are almost cooked.
- Allow the syrup the cook and reduce by half. Pour the syrup and apples into a jar and let cool.